Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial weekend

Growing up I spent my Memorial weekend visiting almost every cemetery in Cache Valley. I have ancestors buried at quite a few and we would listen to stories about them from my Grandparents. Memorial day also meant the first summer bbq / family party out at my Grandparents home in Welsville. This year I got to reflect on the wonderful grandparents I've lost, and extended family who have also passed on.

We decided to stay home for Memorial weekend. Friday we rented Monuments Men (I highly recommend this movie. It's a true story about a group of men / soldiers who are trying to save art in Europe from being burned, ruined, and taken by Hittler during  WWII. Definitely a must see!)
On Saturday Casey finished our TV stand. He sanded it and painted it. I kept the kids out of his hair by playing in the yard. We ran some errands in the afternoon and got Casey a fishing pole for his early father's day present. Kendal has been begging for one to, so we went and found an inexpensive pole for her. Saturday night Casey and I watched the Hobbit. Casey has read and enjoys the Lord of the Rings series. We hadn't seen this movie yet, and it was on our list to rent once it came out.
 I was originally thinking of painting it with a lighter color like blue or green. But we couldn't commit to one so we ended up going with black. I'll buy some colorful baskets to go on the bottom soon.



Sunday took us to church where I taught primary; the kids enjoyed their classes, and we were spiritually fed. I took the kids for a walk Sunday afternoon while Casey made a delicious egg plant Parmesan for dinner. It's our goal to have a meatless meal at least once a week to be healthy and save some $ since meat is ridiculously expensive.
Monday morning we joined Casey's two brothers and their families to fish out in Filer. Kendal was so excited to use her new fishing pole, however she spent most of her time snacking and playing with cousins. The pond had been picked over so we didn't get a single bit from any fish. We'll have to scout out different places next time. Casey hopes to get in a good amount of fishing this summer; and as long as I don't have to deal with the fish we're good. We got burgers for lunch, and had a relaxing afternoon at home. We made some pizza for dinner, and had family home evening talking about what we want to do this summer.

No comments: