Thursday, May 22, 2014

Last week of Preschool

I got the opportunity to teach the last week of preschool this school year. The unit we've been on for a few weeks is about family and unity. I decided to combine the lessons and put parts of each into a lesson for Tuesday and make Thursday a fun day.
On Tuesday we talked about family tree's. I told a story about how two sets of couples met and they had children. A boy and a girl from each family decided to marry. After they were married they started a family and that's where these kids come in. I talked with each child about their grandparents, their parents, and their own siblings. The kids made family tree's. We also talked about when the kids were babies. Every kid in our preschool has a younger sibling so they have some memory of babies. Noah will be getting a baby brother in a few weeks, but he was the least willing to talk about babies ; ) We played "house" for free time and I pulled out my card table house for the kids. We sang some songs about family and did a number activity to review the numbers we've learned this year.
Today (Thursday) we had a messy day. We started out with a zebra craft to finish out the alphabet. I made elephant toothpaste (expanding goo) and we mixed colors in the foam to review our colors. We went outside and played a shape hop game to review the shapes. The kids enjoyed the chaos of the game. We colored with chalk for a bit then had snacks. After snack time I had free time with slime, giant bubbles, a car ramp, and face painting. After I painted each kid with butterflies, robots, rainbows, etc. the kids went nuts with the paints. I had two kids with paint up and down their arms and legs. Luckily I added lots of soap to the already "washable" paint. We rinsed off, toweled dry and were good to go.

 Left to right: Kendal, David, Guy, Noah, Amaya

It's been a wonderful year of preschool. I'm thankful for the Moms who came together and did this for these kids. We're not sure what we'll do this next school year for Kendal. Preschools around here are expensive / filled up; and we're potentially moving this summer. Hopefully something comes our way and Kendal can have another fun year of learning and friends.

No comments: