Monday, January 20, 2014

What big sisters are for

Kendal fills her role as a big sister to a tee. She likes to be in the know of things, she likes to be in charge, she loves bossing her brother around, she's good at picking on her brother, and she smothers him - which means when I say give your brother a hug she tackles him, when I say give him a kiss she squishes his face.
The other day Kendal wanted a dance party. I told her she could put on a dress while I found the music. Kendal made Peter put on her pink tutu to dance around. He didn't love being shoved into the tutu, but enjoyed spinning around to music with his sister. A few days later he came to me with the tutu in hand and wanted it on. We had another dance party with both spinning around having a blast. About a week ago Kendal had on her fairy wings during the day. Later that night Peter came out with the wings and kept saying on to me. I put the wings on him and he happily played for a while (until he realized he couldn't climb as well with them). There are many aspects of Kendal being the big sister that can be frustrating, (pushing, telling her brother what to do, taking his toys, etc.) but moments like this when it works out and they both have fun it's nice to see.

 (I know Peter will dislike these pictures in the future, but for now they are a sweet reminder of life at this age.)

Casey and I -
Casey is officially half done with his school year. He's enjoying this year (minus a few pesky kids in some classes; but nobody can escape those).
Out of Casey's 15 + basketball games his team has played this season they have only lost one so far. The rest they have won and sometimes smashed the other team. We went and watched a game last week where the final score 48 to 1. Even with injuries making things hard at times his team has pushed through and played very hard this season. He has four more games this month and will then be done coaching the C team. JV and Varsity will have districts and State in the month of February. JV should do well, Varsity we'll see.
Right now I'm doing two callings for the ward. I teach the 8 year old class in primary. This is my third year in primary. I taught little kids with Casey in Logan, Primary Chorister in Challis, and now 8 yr olds. I enjoy primary and have a good group of kids. I am still the ward chorister for sacrament meeting. I was promised a release, but they asked me Sunday if I could go a bit longer. I was hoping for a release but I'll work with it.
I am babysitting two to three times a week. They are good kids, but are very indulged at home which is not how I run things. I am not one to coddle or let kids have things their way. Overall I'm fine with it, and the extra money doesn't hurt either.
Next week is my turn again for preschool. As long as I go with the flow and go into the week prepared, it will be a good week. Kendal loves everything about preschool. This month she has learned my phone number as a goal in school. She put a little song to it and now has it memorized.

No comments: