Friday, January 31, 2014

Preschool

Preschool was at our house this week. The topics were obedience and decisions. On Tuesday the kids learned about preschool rules and local rules aka "laws". We learned about the letter K by tracing k's and doing rubbings of keys on paper. We had a heart hunt around the house. The shape of the week was a heart and our number to learn was 11 so the kids had to find the hearts in numerical order. This was the only glitch in the day. Kendal had found most of the hearts by the time preschool had started so I had to hold her back during the activity. I also didn't anticipate kids not knowing what numbers looked like. I would call out a number and some of the kids were clueless as to which number went with what I said. We read some books about characters/animals with good/bad consequences; and then had free time. The kids were very into basketball and Mini's house.
On Thursday the kids learned about decisions and choices. I stripped down the lesson and made the day all about choices. The kids got to pick from activities that I set up, craft, snack, and stories. The kids liked the freedom to do what they liked; I kept group time to a minimum only to talk about decisions. We had Becca join us for the day. She and Kendal made heart owls and the boys made dogs (they went on a barking and hooting spree after).
I learned more about how different kids can be. How they act, and what they know. Kids all have different personalities and ways of learning. Kendal is a very vocal learner. She wants to talk, be involved, and absorb everything. She was definitely my most active participator (but that might have been because it was home and she was answering Mommy). It was a good week and as usual Kendal cannot wait for the next day of preschool to see her friends and learn some more.

I wish there were pictures to go along with this post but Casey had the camera because he was talking videos of plays for his students and parent night.

No comments: