Thursday, October 10, 2013

Preschool time

This week was my week to host preschool. It's been a while since I've taught preschool; (2007 when I did it in college, and I did after school club for five years) so I knew it would be fine. The curriculum for the program is set for the year and each lesson is very detailed. It's a good curriculum I'm just not in love with it so I decided to take out and add a couple of things here and there in the lesson plans.  Mix in some activities, songs, learning days of the week, and a couple of active activities that's pretty much preschool. This weeks theme was The Earth.
 Tuesday we covered seasons, seeds (how plants grow), and the color orange. As long as I remembered that each child has a different attention span / interest in the activity I felt the day went well. The only hiccup was playing a version of duck duck goose. For what seemed like no reason at all a couple of the younger girls cried during the game. They had a hoot running around the circle, but both had melt downs when it was their turn to go around and pick. (I don't think they understood the game fully, o well.)
Today (Thursday) we talked about animals, pets, uses for animals, made bird feeders, and star constellations.Things were going well till our last half hour of the day. One of the little girls rushed to the bathroom and just stood there a minute then started to cry. (didn't get there fast enough). Nothing would console her and I couldn't even get to change out of the soiled clothes. So I quickly threw my last two activities out the window, pulled out play doh for the other kids, called her mom, and tried my best to help the inconsolable little girl.

As always Kendal enjoys preschool and spending time with her friends and cousin.

Left to right: Making constellations, running around like different animals, play doh time




Fun times / crazy times, it's all good!

No comments: