Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Bread is the king of the table

Summer is giving us a nice send off by giving us some decent weather lately. Sadly summer has to end so let the fall fun begin. We decided to get apples this past week so I could make apple sauce with Vanessa this week. My parents came into town on Saturday to end their mini vacation with us. We all went and picked apples at North View orchards. It's a huge place and we've enjoyed the fruit we've gotten there so far. We happily tasted the many varieties of apples they have on right now and picked a few boxes full of apples to buy.
My parents joined us for our ward harvest dinner on Saturday night.  Lots of soup, lots of little kids running around. I made a bunch of rolls to take and kept some to enjoy at home (I kept 2 dozen to savor the rest of the weekend.) To end our night Kendal convinced Grandpa to watch Frozen and he couldn't refuse such a cute little blond. Sunday morning I turned on Church music to start the day with. Kendal convinced Casey and my Dad to dance with her around the living room. She was overjoyed to have dancing partners and get twirled around. My parents joined us for church and we spent the afternoon relaxing and enjoying some down time.



This week I took our car to get worked on. I was hoping for a quick alignment and maybe a new tire. However many hours later and 700+ dollars out of our pocket; the shocks and struts, alignment, new tire, and a trip service were done. The brakes weren't the best either but we'll work on those in the spring. I lasted a little over an hour and a half at the Tire place with the kids (Thanks to snacks and a tablet). Luckily Vanessa was my hero and rescued us from spending three more hours there.
Vanessa and I had planned to make apple sauce Tuesday so we spent the afternoon at her house making apple sauce while the kids watched a show and had fun outside time together. I'm grateful for Vanessa's knowledge and willingness to help me with canning. Doing it together is so much more fun than canning alone. While I'm not a major apple sauce eater. I do bake with it often and the kids enjoy it a lot!


I stumbled across the following quote that made me smile and had to preserve it here. If you know me you know I love bread; I crave it more than sweets. (I even have a top five list of bread's / rolls i adore - yep I'm that odd ; )
"Bread is the king of the table and all else is merely the court that surrounds the king. The countries are the soup, the meat, the vegetables, the salad but bread is king."  - Louis Bromfield



No comments: