Thursday, April 17, 2014

Creativity or just Crazy


We had preschool at our house this week. The theme was imagination and creativity.
Tuesday the kids could come dressed up or I could provide dress up. I figured if I let the kids come dressed up I would most likely get superheroes. I have nothing against superheros, but when you put kids together things can get crazy, then you add superheros that fight, kick, yell, etc. it can be chaos. The dress up at my house is very geared towards girls so I decided to play town. I put town and the town people together and gave each an activity. Kendal got to be the Teacher (just like daddy : ), she was in charge of a worksheet that taught the kids counting. David was a Coach, he was in charge of Simon says. Noah was the Vet, the kids brought him animals with owies and he fixed them. Guy was the car man, the kids washed cars and he fixed them. Amaya was the Chef, she got to help with snack. Kayson and Peter just participated. The kids loved playing town, and it only took a bit of persuasion to convince them real people could be just as fun as being Megatron. After snack we talked about how we used our imaginations to play town. I told the story of The Little Red Hen. We were supposed to act out the story, but that quickly went bust. After a couple of more songs, a coloring activity, and shape play the kids had free play time with town where they did each others occupation, and added post office play where they wrote letters and mailed them off.
Today (Thursday) there were nine kids here. I guess I like to bring on the crazy cause we ended up with the five preschoolers, two of their little sisters  (Becca, Stella), Kayson, and Peter. Surprisingly we were able to do a good deal of what I planned. The kids started out with free play making shape pictures, fishing, and matching animals. After that we talked about imaginations again. I read the kids a couple of fairy tales, and opted out of trying to get them to act out the stories. Next we had egg races where the kids tried to balance an egg (plastic) on a spoon around obstacles. It was funny to see which kids tried in ernest, which cheated their way along, and which were quite young to try but still gave an effort. I had the kids make rice crispe treat eggs for snack. Most didn't want to get sticky so their help was putting a finger on the egg while I did the rest. We did a worksheet with the letter U and the little kids just colored. The next activity was making animal masks. I split the kids up and made masks with some while the others played then rotated the kids around. All of the girls choose cats. The boys choose a bear, monkey, cow, and dog. This was definitely the crazy party of the day. Pausing to help kids in the potty, pulling my son and anothert little one out of the bathroom cause they were dumping stuff in the toilet, and trying to keep the noise level down a notch or two since my neighbors already hate the noise just my kids make. I was done after this so I scraped the last two activities and let the kids play outside.
Call me crazy (cause I am), but it was a good week of preschool full of imagination, creativity, and loads of crazy.

No comments: